Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Work Journal, Part I

The week has come and gone, and so has the weekend. Twice now. Tomorrow would be the start of Week Three!

Time seems to pass really fast and yet at the same time, rather slow. Not making much sense I know. LOL

I've gotta write a weekly report but I know that I will put it off right until Jan 10th or somewhere around there since the submission date is 14th so I might as well jot all the things here first because there is no way I will remember what happened week-to-week by the time January gets here.

Week 1 Day 1
Well, it's the first day and like all first days, I remember starting off unsure and lost and nervous, all those things. Also intimidated, because everyone looks so polished and put-together. There was nothing much to be done on the first day. What I did was read A LOT of magazines, like the back issues of the international editions and stuff. Helped to move some magazines around and clear out some stuff like old press releases, etc. Little things like making copies and calculating claims, which I totally didn't mind cuz it meant something to do he he. Observed all the other staff at work, which was really enlightening.

Day 2
Started to have more things to do. We [temps/interns] don't get our own desks and computers so if someone's not in, then we get their work stations. Learned how to send out emails for price requests; and then key in those prices in the pages that are already done by the writers. Almost at the end of the day, I was asked to type up the text for a feature from US Bazaar that they wanted to run. That made time pass real fast =)

Day 3
Yay finally I got to write a little! My senior asked me to go through a book and then write a short lil snippet about it and then maybe she can slot it into the culture section =)

Day 4
My senior went out to pick up samples while I stayed at the office. Helped to sort out the store room (beauty room?). There were tons of products in there! From like, every imaginable brand. A girl can stay in there and play for days without coming out I think. LOL. When she got back, I went with my senior to the studio where they shoot all the products for their pages. Helped with unpacking the clothes, steam-ironing them and then watch while the photogs do their thing.

Week 2 Day 1
I'm finally assigned the job that's more or less gonna be my main task for the two months that I'm gonna be here: returning [as well as picking up] samples that were loaned from all the brands we're featuring. This time it's returning all the stuff from Dior & Gucci that were used on the shoot on Thursday. It was the first time I had a 15 thousand dollar dress in my hand. Before this, the most designer item I've ever held was Andy Bandy! HAHAHAHAHAH! Had to go to Starhill & KLCC, and managed to slip in a quick lunch with Howyee =)

Day 2
Oh shiiiitttt I'm starting to forget what I did! And it's just like 5 days ago dieee lah how am I gonna write my bloody report like this? I remembered whole day just waiting to go to the Topshop event? I think I sent out more price request emails. Yeah. And read more back issues.

Day 3
I did transcribing! I remember this yes! A colleague recently did a beauty interview and interviewed 3 people so I had to listen to the audio recordings and transcribe accordingly. OMG really not easy though I felt very 'journalist' cuz you had to use the recorder and type out a lot of stuff. Hahaha. Things got hard when it got to the gwailoh because of the accent, and because he mumbled. And then because sometimes these interviews are like conversations, so sometimes two people start talking at the same time or they do the 'mmm, mmm ahh ahh' kinda thing, or they laugh, or cut off each other, OMG that's when you need to play it back over and over again to get it right. Some used words that were really technical/scientific like xxxx-acids or xxxx-essences and you don't even know what it means. Some repeat words like 'you know' or 'like' or 'basically' or even 'first of all, I think' up to five or six times in a single sentence hahaha.

Day 4
Didn't need to go to the office in the morning because I had to go to KLCC to pick up loans. Had a shoot on that afternoon itself. I thought what I picked up in the morning was already very pricey. Mana tahu 20 plus k is rather chump change in the luxury watch market. When I was sending back the loans in the evening, I was practically walking around with like, a Mont Kiara condo in a paperbag on my arms. Scarrryyy!

Day 5
More writing! Shorter one this time, about a hundred words based on a press release. That's about it I guess.

OMGGGG you know whaaat, I went to KL from PJ in after-work traffic for like 4 days in a row! I'm a lil terrified of driving now, TBH. Traffic is such a bitch when everyone's rushing to get back home. On Tuesday there was the Topshop launch. Wednesday was the Vincci fashion show at Fahrenheit. [OMG two nights of getting drunk at events in malls! LOVE!] Thursday had to send back all the loans from the shoot. Friday was the OHF gathering at Pavilion. To make it worse, I'm a bit of a retard when it comes to directions, so I have a feeling that I haven't been taking the fastest/shortest route to and fro. Sigh. It's okay, I still have many more weeks to explore routes =)

Also right, at the start of the first week, I woke up super early because I didn't want to get caught in the jam and be late for work. Then I don't know why, I started snoozing longer and longer and woke up a bit later everyday. At the start of Week 1, the Gotcha call comes on when we're about to reach my office. Then after that, it comes on when we are starting out our journey.... then on Week 2 Day 5, OMG when we got into the car, the Gotcha call has already ended! I'm turning into Jacqueline and Andy!!! Hahahahah!

No comments: