Monday, November 1, 2010

The Next 2 Months of My Life

At first I thought I have seen what my next two months would be like. My arms would be sore and I would be tired almost every single day.

After weeks of sending resumes and letters here and there, not a single company got back to me. I felt so unwanted and undesirable. The uni found me an internship at a production company, which was quite a surprise because I remember the officer in charge asking me what were my 1st and 2nd choices and I told her magazines and newspapers. But I guess that's what happens when you ask people to help you out for free haha.

So, with no other prospects in sight, I mentally prepared myself to be an intern at a production company. They asked me to go have a look and help them out for a two-day shoot last couple of weeks to see how it was like.

Thanks to Ryan and gang, it wasn't the first time I'm on set of a production but it was the first time becoming crew lor. And... and, well, let's just say it still isn't my first choice for an internship he he.

The work was tough and physical and my main responsibility for that two days was being the clapper boy. As in, the one who holds and claps the clapboard when the camera starts rolling.

Sound simple, right? Not so, actually. It's kinda hard to estimate where to place the clapboard cuz it needs to be in frame, and at a distance where the camera can actually focus on it. Then after you have clapped, you need to quickly erase and get the board ready for the next take. Then once the scene's done, you need to know which scene is next. Things were not made easier by the script, which is in Chinese ohemgee. Then you have to manoeuvre around lights and wires and microphones and whatever props there may be like chairs, beds, etc. You gotta disappear fast enough after clapping so that you don't appear on cam. But you can't run so hard that the camera shakes. And your escape route can't be in front of a light or they'll catch your shadow. And sometimes if you roll when the camera is ready but audio not ready yet, they also will screw you. Hahaha. At the end of the 2 days, I must say I improved quite a lot in the Art of Holding the Clapboard.

Anyways, after that I told myself, that even though it's not my first choice of a job, if it's a job, it's a job. And it's my responsibility to give my all at it. Because no matter what it is, I am sure that there's a learning experience in there somewhere. Surely there are skills that I can pick up from that job so it's no use if I keep whining about it. Might as well look on the bright side and try to learn as much as I can.

So, I've already told people that I'm interning for this production company when 6 days before I'm supposed to start, Harper's called me. They were one of the first that I sent my resume to, and when they didn't get back to me after a week, I called them and they said that they've already hired all their interns. I was devastated.

But now they were calling me and asking if I could go in for a chat. OMGOMG I was so excitednervousterrifiedexcited! They were looking for a fashion intern they said, and as much as I looooooveeeee fashion, I really don't have any formal training/background in fashion so yeah, you could say I was a lil intimidated. All I had was my passion for fashion LOL is that cheesy or what!

Went in for the 'chat' on Thursday and I thought it went rather well though I did not dare to get my hopes up. They said they'd email me the next morning and OMG when next morning came, couldn't open my email fast enough. When I saw the words 'when can you start' I was like AAAAHHHHLALALALALALALALA!!!!

But then came a ton of lil technical problems. First, the internship was supposed to start on Monday, which meant that I needed to get my offer letter to the co-op unit on Friday, that day itself. It was already late afternoon, the girl that hired me was on leave, and no one could get me a copy of my offer letter. I was very the scared to go tell the co-op officers cuz they kinda fierce, and they already offered me one job, which I was now going to reject. I didn't know if they were gonna get pissed.

Then, secondly, I had to call the production company and told them that I would not be joining them, days before I was supposed to start. I felt soooooo bad and like such a bitch. Also, I was deadly afraid of the lao pan niang for some reasons lah. I had a feeling she was gonna scream my head off.

But for some strange reason, maybe angels were smiling on me that day (hahahahha!), both the co-op officer and the lao pan niang accepted what I had to say immediately. No questions asked, no screaming, no purposely making life difficult for me. OMFG I was so relieved cuz I was really expecting horrible situations haha.

But you see, I guess life's like this. Nothing ever comes perfect. The production job, which wasn't really my first choice, was super duper near to my house, and I had friends from uni already interning there, and they could fetch me to and fro hehe. Now, this Harper's job, which I reallyreallyreally want, is all the way in Damansara. I do not know anybody there. But I'm sure as hell not gonna let that stop me.

So here I am, in Jacqueline's place in KJ, and I think I'm gonna be here for the whole of my internship, all the way to the end of December. It feels weird. Of course, I do heart my sis, but coming here for a sleepover is one thing, being here from Mon-Fri every week is another thing, ya know? I feel like I've already left my life in Cheras for good. My friends, my bed, my pillows, my cat, most of my clothes..... I feel homesick already haha.

It's just 8 weeks, I keep telling myself. If 18 year old kids can survive 3 months of national service, what's eight weeks of staying in comfort at my sister's place and working at a fabulous magazine, right? Yup. I can do it! LOL.

This is one crazylongass post. I don't know where the sudden blogging enthusiasm comes from; I'm supposed to be zzzzz now, my first day of work starts in 7 hours *gasp*

No comments: