Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hello Schoolboy

For some inexplicable reason, I agreed to go with my friends to visit our old school today. I don't know why I did it; must have been tooo booooring at home, since I always say no when they plan these trips back to school. I mean, I never got the point of spending so much time doing these dwelling-on-the-past things. It's obvious that neither the students nor the teachers enjoy these spontaneous reunions very much. Ugh. In fact, it's like volunteering yourself for torture. The teachers probably don't know who we are unless we're like the unforgettable ones with straight A1s, excellent co-cu and other super achievements - and come to think of it, most of my friends are, so maybe it's just me then. Oh well.
Anyways, I love seeing the expressions on the teachers' faces. For the first 5 to 10 seconds, they're like struggling to remember who the hell you are, then when they finally think they got it right, they start to make awkward, stilted conversation. If they remember, they make sure you know it by dropping references about your parents, the things you used to do. Aww how sincere. No matter where you go, the things they say are universal. You talk to one teacher, you've talked to 20. They ask all these generic questions they've been asking to every former student they see every year, pretending to be interested while I stand there with a Miss World smile pretending to be interesting. Dear God.
I've had some real fantastic moments in high school, but it sure wasn't with the teachers, honey ;)

No comments: